Saturday, February 13, 2010

To Military, or Not to Military?

Ryan and I are coming to yet another Y in the road in our lives. In April, we will (hopefully) graduate with our BSN (bachelor of science in nursing). When this happens Ryan has the opportunity to join any of the three military branches and join as an officer... This could be a great opportunity. Ryan would not have to do the intense Boot Camp and Tech school that enlisted people would do. He only has to go to a 6 week officer training school. There are many, many benefits to doing joining the military, but there are, of course, many disadvantages to doing this too.

Although we are not sure how much he will like the military he has really thought about staying in for at least 20 years if he really likes it.

As I am sitting here at the nurses station with no patients I thought I would just list out the benefits and disadvantages and try to see where that takes me.
(Disclaimer: Ryan and I have done a lot of research about this and the information I state can be backed up by medical staff in the military or the offical military websites, if anything looks wrong let me know, thanks!)

ADVANTAGES:
  • The military is in DESPERATE need for nurses so they have a SWEET sign on bonus
  • Because of that need every year we would get an AMAZING bonus just to stay in military
  • Every penny of Ryan's doctorate degree (probably in anesthesia) would be paid for (and that could cost upwards of $200,000) and on top of that he would get paid a stipend while in school, this means I would not have to think about working at all when we have kids
  • Ryan would most likely rank advance quickly, especially if he decided to stay in it more than 4-6 years because not too many medical people decide to do that
  • Housing and most bills would be paid for
  • Medical care is FREE, this means I can have all of my 10 children with no hospital bills!
  • I would have the opportunity to work part time as a civillian on base to keep my licsense up-civillians who work as nurses on a military base make about double what they make at a civillian hospital
  • We would have the opportunity to go to Germany, Korea, Japan and other amazing places. I want my children to be exposed to different people and cultures, I feel this is important for my family.
  • Ryan would have the opportunity to serve our country and the freedom that is invaluable ( I know our country has MAJOR issues, but go somewhere else and try to have a better life!)
  • I figured out that if Ryan were to make a career of it and we played it right with the income and housing allowance we could possibly get out of the military and buy a house out right, no loans...
  • I would occasionally get to see Ry in a sweet uniform ;)
  • If Ryan decided to make a career of it and stay in the military for 20 years he would get a wonderful retirement, then be able to get a job in the real world and have a duel income
  • We would have a lot of neat opportunities to be involved with the Church all over the country and world

Ok... So there are many, many advantages. Looking over them, many of them are financial, but there are many advantages that are related to experiences were couldn't have otherwise. Now for the disadvantages.

DISADVANTAGES

  • The BIGGEST problem would be that Ryan WOULD leave me and our future kids for months at a time. The neat thing is that in most branches the medical deployments usually are no longer than 4 months... But 4 months... is it worth it?
  • Ryan could get sent to dangerous areas ( depending out what area of nursing he is in the likelyhood isn't huge he would get sent to the frontlines or places that are highly dangerous)
  • We wouldn't be able to live near our family and our children may not get to know their grandparents and cousins as well as they should
  • Both sides of our family may not understand/support our choice to join the military
  • Once Ryan got his doctorates he could make much more in the civillian world
  • Ryan would leave me and miss times that are so important to our children's development
  • I have seen the military jerk my friends who are the military around, you have almost no control over your life
  • Did I mention I would have to be without Ryan for months at a time?

I can't think of too many other disadvantages, can anyone else think of any?

So this is where we are at right now. As soon as school is over we are going to be visiting bases and recruiters and see what else can be promised. After that we will do serious praying about it and try our hardest to make the right choice. I am so grateful for the opportunity we have to receive personal revelation from our Heavenly Father. Life would be so scare without it!

Well, we will just have to wait and see what will happen! Life is crazy, but it is so fun. Who knows where we will be in a year!??!?!?!?!

3 comments:

  1. Probably over 90% of our ward here in NC is military, most of them in special ops, so their deployments are significantly longer than what Ryan's would be. They are usually away for about 9 months of the year. But its nice to interact with them when they are around and especially with their wives and kids. Jessica and I hold a great deal of respect for these people so willing to serve and especially their families, it is certainly a very noble and dignified career path.

    Obama scares the hell out of me, and I wouldn't want him to be my Commander-in-Chief, so I'd wait until a 2012 Conservative Victory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this is so weird, I came across your blog through Rachel Rassmussen's and I was drawn to it because of the title of this post. It just so happens that I went to school with Ryan from about first grade on.
    Anyway, my name is Trinity, Ryan knows me as Hoppins, but I've actually asked Eric Goldthorpe about Ryan so he's filled me in a little bit about life.
    I hope I didn't creep you out too much. I do happen to be an Army wife though, if you ever want to talk about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeni, my husband is a Warrant Officer in the Army, he flies helicopters. He was enlisted before that and he was Field Artillery, so I know little to nothing about the medical. But as a spouse, I'd love to help any way I can. My e-mail is Hoppie_11@hotmail.com, I'd love to chat! :)

    ReplyDelete