Thursday, October 14, 2010

Natural Birthing Center!!!!!

I am so excited!!! I found out that just 40 miles from where I live is a Natural Birthing Center in a hospital!! This is the biggest blessing in the world!! After being a labor and delivery nurse for just over a year, I have definitely not come close to seeing it all, but I did see a lot and I did learn a lot. I feel that the whole birthing process is a miracle and in the majority of cases, the body and baby can handle everything fine. I have seen how different interventions and helps can actually cause problems to arise. I had toyed around with the idea of home births but because of a family history of issues with delivery and because it is my first time (usually first time deliveries can be very long and hard) my husband quickly let me know there is nothing in the world that would make him let me have a home birth. I agreed, he is probably right. So, I thought I was stuck with delivering in a hospital and making the OB and nurses mad at me because I would not agree with some "standard of care" procedures. Then I stumbled on this accredited natural birth center! I was so excited! There are some really neat things that I learned that they do:
  1. There is a jacuzi in each room for water births (yes! I AM interested in that!)
  2. The nurse to patient ratio is one to one, meaning that I am the ONLY patient that nurse has to worry about so I will get the monitoring and help I need
  3. The baby NEVER has to leave the room (if the baby is healthy and doesn't need medical interventions). Can you believe that!?!?! SOOO cool!!
  4. If everything goes well for me I could be out of the birthing center just 6 hours after delivery!!! That is exciting!!
  5. In order to deliver at this center I have to take these birthing classes that help you learn about different birthing techniques and realize what kind you want to use (aromatherapy, hypnobirth, hydrobirth etc.)
  6. For about a week after the birth post partum nurses will make phone calls asking me how breastfeeding is going, how I am feeling and so on and give advice and help.
  7. Because this natural birthing center are big supporters of breast feeding they will not give a bottle or a pacifier to the baby without consent from the mom
  8. the list just goes on and on and on!!!
Needless to say, I am so excited about this opportunity. I just found a nurse midwife I want to work with and I am excited to set up and appointment with her.

4 comments:

  1. THAT IS SO EXCITING!!! I'm glad that you listed the options and what a birthing center offers. I really think that I will take that route TOO. I did not like that Kyra was taken away from me and had formula first...and that a pacifier was given without my concent (among other things) I am thankful for the good that happened though, but would like a few things different next time.
    INCREDIBLE!! I'm so excited for you!! Labor...believe it or not was so exciting and just FUN and NEW and adventurous. It is not something to dread and fear.
    Awww! You're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I went to school with Ryan and love reading your blog because I just enrolled in nursing school (am on the wait list) and want to work in Labor and Delivery. Congratulations on your pregnancy, and I'm sorry about your insane "morning sickness". I'm not sure why they call it that either because I had it morning, noon and night too. I ended up getting put on Zofran and that helped substantially, but I worried that it would affect the baby so I stopped as soon as I could. Anyway I just wanted to tell you that I too think that birthing should be more of a natural process. I wanted to do a water birth and got a lot of flack about it from family and friends who thought I was nuts for wanting to do that. Just hold to your guns if that's what you and your husband feel is right for your family! I ended up not being able to find a facility close enough to where we live, but I hope to experience that with our second baby in the future. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy! If you do end up doing a water birth, I want to hear all the details!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH my heavens, Jeni, that is the best news I've heard all day!!!! That is SO so exciting!!! I'm just like you and knew OB/nurses would probably hate me b/c I would and wouldn't want certain things to happen.

    And you're so right... I'm hoping and praying that baby #2 will be EASIER and not such LONG, HARD, SLOW labor... sheesh.

    And HOW NICE that you'd have your OWN NURSE to cater to all your needs!! AND it's wonderful that you can leave 6 hours later - that was another thing that bugged me about a hospital birth; if all went well, there was no way in heck I was staying for 48 hours!

    And that's really good that they support moms and breastfeeding rather than cause future problems and weaken your milk supply by giving your baby formula. It sounds like they'll really respect YOU and your wants/needs rather than do what they please. (Sometimes they're more respectful in hospitals, but sometimes they flat-out ignore your requests and do as they please, like what happened a few friends and my mom!)

    So share (if you'd like) about the birthing classes you choose! I did hypnobabies, loved it, and would love to learn some other methods, too.

    Question: will they let you eat during labor? I hope so... my midwife compared childbirth to running a marathon, and you can't run a marathon on an empty stomach! You need carbs, substance, etc. for energy!! (I really agree though... after giving birth naturally, I honestly felt SO empowered and felt like running two marathons back to back would've been CAKE!)

    Oh, and I hope you get to do a water birth! I labored in a big tub for several hours... I think a jacuzzi would've been one hundred times better because the water can stay hot and it's deeper (probably with head-rests on the sides!)

    Anyway, can't wait to hear about your wonderful, personal and unique experience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your excitement!! I am really excited!!

    And YES Breeana, you can eat the WHOLE time!!!! Oh man! I couldn't make it without eating. The reason they don't want you to eat at the hospital is a precaution for a c/s. But honestly, are we planning on having a c/s? NO! So why prepare for one. I am glad to know you liked hypnobabies, I have been thinking about that one. Anyways I will definitely share everything we decide to do and end up doing. We have orientation at the natural child birth center on Nov 6. So I am really excited to learn more!!

    ReplyDelete